Sunday, April 6, 2008

Im a pack rat

My niece is trying to get better organized in her house.
This has got me continuely looking to see if there is a better place to put something, stuff that can be thrown away, or given away.

Well everytime I walk thru a room I realize one thing. Im. A. Pack. Rat.
I come by it honestly really I do. I can actually set stuff in a box out on the porch to be taken to the trash, and my mother will stop and go through this stuff and try to find out Why I dont want it.
Dq cleaned out her room and toted bags and boxes of stuff to the curb. My mom thought she was kidding evidently and toted half the stuff back in. Afraid I guess that we might need it, "someday".

Well I am trying, my niece has decided to do it one room at a time, so I think that is how I will too. I have started, somewhat slowly. I dont know if it is that I dont want to get rid of stuff or if I dont want to go thru it. So it may take a while. But I will get it done, After all when I move to florida in 3 more years I wont be taking all this stuff with me. So I better do it now.

Anyways while I was looking for tips I found a couple of interesting sites.
The first one has a load of recipes on it, it has alot of other stuff too, but it was the recipes that made me take notice. Click here to go to the "organized home" page.

I also found another page in my quest. It is called real simple. I didnt really get to look at this page alot, though it looked like it may have alot of info on it. However it looked a little busy also.
By busy I mean it had alot of clutter on the page. But if time is not a factor then it might prove useful.

Anyways I also found a top list for you to consider:
Top 5 things to consider before you buy something!
  1. Do I really need this?
  2. Do I have somewhere to store it?
  3. Do I already have something like this?
  4. Am I buying it just because it’s on sale?
  5. Is it something I've been interested in for a long time, or am I buying on impulse?

Thats it for now. But I will leave you with one more tidbit.

"I can sell this on Ebay", IS NOT an excuse to hold on to stuff.




I made this! Photo by HSUS

1 comment:

Daphne said...

yeah I'm a packrat too. You know we inherited it from Granny. Have you seen how many notebooks and pens she has??? lol And I could go on ... books, newspapers, tapes ....

My biggest problem ? is that when I get rid of stuff, I tend to want to buy more stuff to replace it with.

Did I really need to buy Mackenzie 2 more pairs of sandals today? No. But I just got rid of alot of her shoes and she "may need these".

I think, the key to not being a packrat is, not to get attached to your things. Which is extremely hard when you grew up like we did.

Anyway, Love ya!

Keep on blogging!